Thursday, October 11, 2007

All my dreams....?

When I was a kid, around 8 years old, my friend, Anita, and I would play "secretaries" in which we were two very highly competent secretaries for two very important bosses. We would have an office each (separate ends of the lounge room/bedroom/back yard etc) and we would meet at coffee breaks and lunchtimes to discuss the intricacies of our office life.
We would answer phones, take messages, arrange catering and type up important letters and memos. Sometimes, because our bosses were so busy, we had to organise their wives birthday presents or flowers for forgotten anniversaries. It was high pressured stuff, but very rewarding at the end of the hour when Anita and I would meet in the kitchen for iced vo vo's and cordial.

So, now I am all grown up, work in an office, answer phones, take messages, organise catering as well as very important things like analyse data. I got to meetings, training courses, organise Christmas parties or farewell barbeques. Its almost exactly what I pretended to do as a kid.

So why don't I feel like all my dreams came true?

3 comments:

klad said...

Because your company doesn't ply its employees with Iced Vo-Vos and cordial? :)

Brydie said...

my thoughts exactly.
i dreamt of being a truck driver for a while when i was a kid, and now i drive a big 4 wheel drive.
but it just makes me nervous.
sad really.

Amanda Buckley said...

You ladies just get me. And I thank you for it.