Friday, October 19, 2007

Geography

As I type this, my sister Deb is in labour. Pretty amazing really. The thing is, she lives in Adelaide and I am here in Sydney.
It was the same when she had her first child, Jackson. I will spend most of the day staring at my phone, waiting.
Geography is cruel. By rights, as a sister (in the way that we are actually sisters, not clenched fists in the air kinda "I hear you" sisters, but actually sisters) I should be sitting in the waiting room at the hospital drinking coffee or tea and ready to burst into tears when my bro-in-law Kym, comes out and tells us "Its a ...?" and then we all hug or something. I don't know what would happen though, as I have never sat in the waiting room.
Similarly when my brother Anthony and his wife Alison welcomed their son Rohan into the world, it was in Wollongong. Again, there was no waiting room experience.
As I may possibly be the old maid Aunt my mother keeps warning me I am on my way to becoming, I feel I have been robbed of these experiences. The possible future story-telling, nephews/nieces on my knee, hanging on every word, "Now, when you were born, we all waited for hours and then....."
Instead, all they will get is "Oh, I was online posting a blog about me me me me and me when you were born. Yes, thats right, your birth reminded me about all the things I miss out on....." which is both self indulgent and most probably not exciting at all for the child.
See, proof that geography is making me a bad Aunt.

DAMN YOU GEOGRAPHY!!!!!!

3 comments:

Jean_Therapist said...

Bloody geography. I never trusted cartographers... all those stupid wavy lines. Why not make a map with actual hills on it, so then you have an idea of how big things are. And there are no graph co-ordinate markings on the earth, do page 264, e4 of the gregory's really is not very helpful if I am lost.

In other news, CONGRATULATIONS!! Aunty!!! Well, you will have to skype the baby and look at it.

Though you miss out on the best part, which is getting drooled on. Maybe you can dribble on yourself? Or find a hobo.

Brydie said...

yey! congratulations!
did you say the other week that your sister may be moving to sydney? or was that "i wish my sister lived in sydney"?

klad said...

Congrats! How lovely. And hey, someday he can jump online and read about how Aunty Buckers was there in spirit, drinking bad coffee in the waiting room... :)