Tuesday, June 20, 2006

It Used To Be About the Music

So, I realise I am getting old. I have always known, what with the passing of time, that I would grow in age but the signs are becoming more and more obvious.

I learnt recently about a new kind of music, a new genre if you will. Emo music. I heard it mentioned a few weeks ago and I passed it off as being a lame name for a band, little was I to know that a whole sub-culture was forming under this lame title.

How could I not know about a whole new kind of music. I am very musical - I have hundreds of CDs, and yet, there nestled in between popular and heavy metal/thrash was this new section. How had I missed it?

On closer inspection of course, I realise that maybe I had subconsciously missed it because it is entirely unlistenable. At least complaint rock sounds just like what it is. Its a little whiney and a little whingy but it rocks out. Emo? Huh?

I wonder how the bands/singer/song writers feel about it all. Garage days spent with electric guitars and posters of Kiss or The Beatles dreaming of the future....only to write some fluff with a bit of distortion on it under the banner of Emo music.

I really am getting old.

1 comment:

Lee Naimo said...

You're not necessarily getting old, it's the music that's getting young....OK I'm really just commenting for the sake of posting a comment! Take care!