Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Satan, Santa and so on.

You would have to have been hiding under a rock not to know that the significant date of 06.06.06 recently passed us by - afterall every radio station and news program reported on it in completely original and interesting styles. Needless to say it was more talked about in my office than the weekly "footy tipping results" which I have to say draw even more yawns from me than the topic of the so-called day of the devil.

What I found interesting about this day however, was the car accident I was involved in. Sydney has recently had incredibly wet weather, so you know, the chances of ploughing into the rear end of a ute has been that so much higher. And if by chance you are me, and you are listening to yet another report on the radio about how Satan is coming, and you chuck a little tantrum about how sick and tired you are about being forced to listen to yet another disc jockey put his spin of hilarity onto the subject than the chances of you ploughing into the rear end of a ute is no longer a chance - its a certainty.

And that is exactly what happened. Whilst throwing my hands into the air to show disgust at the radio, the ute with the huge tow-bar in front of me came to a dead stop. I slammed on my brakes of course, but what with the excess of water on the road, my dead stop was about a metre too late.

The other driver pulled over so that we could access the damage and as he got out of his car he said, "Well, what else would you expect on the 06.06.06?" (Well, I would not have expected anything as original as that!)

Low and behold when we checked both vehicles, there was no damage. Unless you consider a scratch on my front bumper damage - which seeing as I had just been stopped by a utility tow-bar, I don't. So much for the day of the dark lord - I was feeling pretty damned chuffed!

As if to soldify my good fortune for the day, I was treated not five minutes later to a Santa sighting. Its true. Father Christmas is working the off season, driving a cab around Sydney. Maybe you don't believe me, but what else could I expect on the 06.06.06?

No comments: