Tuesday, May 01, 2007

If I could then I would, but I can't so I won't....

I am referring to posting a blog about the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. Its just impossible to put into words the experience of April 2007...as Jordan Raskopolous pointed out "Words have not failed you Amanda Buckley, no, YOU have failed words."
That is to say, I have tried and failed and what is left is a mere rundown on the events of last month.
Firstly, our show Scrabble Unscripted went better than we could have imagined and I guess, I mean, at the end of the day, thats what we were there for - to put on a kick arse comedy show. What happened though, I found, is that everything else about the festival seemed to overtake the original goal. Pre-sales, flyering, warm-ups and set-ups are your routine, but the networking, the dancing, the drinking, the venue hopping, the hanging around, the flirting, the late night (read: early morning) debriefs to the who's and the what's all become the things you dig even deeper into the well of energy to take part in.
Its safe to say that I have never been one for the sleeping and have on more than a dozen occasions sacrificed my general well-being to stay out that little bit longer, to suck on the marrow (if you will). I now have a sleep debt, that one day, not only my children, but my childrens children shall inherit. At least I have something to leave behind....
Two of the most amazing highlights (she says, almost forgetting, once again, the reason she was there) apart from the success of Scrabble (she says, making amends) was singing "Flashdance" with 80's Enuff at Trades Hall, a truly joyous and unforgettable moment in my life, thanks of course to Suz and Lis for the hair and the moves and Mark Watsons 24 hr Gig. This is where words really fail me (sorry, where I really fail words) to summate as best possible, Mark Watson put on a 24 hr gig, successfully, much to the dismay of his emotional and mental and possibly physical state. At some stage I was laughing uncontrollably which somehow resulted in me going on a 9hr date with a 19 year old guy named Jono to the Yarra Valley, culminating in a ride with him on the ferris wheel in Federation Square. Of course, this was only about a 1/15 of the gigs focus, there was a hundred other things happening during the course of that 24 hours, but it was such a fabulous thing to be a part of that it would be remiss of me not to make quite the point of it.
The remaining parts of the month are many and wondrous and a blur of memories - gin, cigarettes, laughter, hugs, kisses, long gazes, car trips, music, crazy accents, long walks, glorious Autumn in Fitzroy Gardens, laneways, cups of coffee, soy milk, sushi, custard, smiles, questions and answers, welcoming strangers and steadfast friends. And sideburns. And an airport moment I will never forget. Sigh. Sniff. Sob.

No comments: