Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Career Girl

I have had some jobs.
Quite a few actually.
Video store clerk.
Pizza Hut Shift Supervisor.
Waitress.
NAB Phone Operator.
TAB Phone Operator.
Spruiker.
Child care Assistant.
Leisure Centre Receptionist.
Childrens Party Planner.
Labour Hire Project Officer.
Accounts Clerk.
Data Entry Operator.
Administrative Officer.
Data Analyst.

And here I am. I have spent a lot of my employment avoiding advancement. Responsibility is one thing (I think you will find Mrs Winthrop that Johnnys head did have a bump on it when you dropped him off this morning....) but advancement, no. I do not think so. Uh uh. Nope. Not for me. I am fine where I am.

Except -

A grown up job has crept up on me without me really knowing it. I am planning meetings to "strategise" and asking people to "pull together" and every now and then, I mean it when I say "near enough is just not good enough".

Who is this corporate monster posting before you? When did the needs of the business overtake my need to email my friends? When did I stop taking the stationary home because lets face it, I don't really need it? What happened to that carefree girl who was really a hindrance rather than a help?

Wait a minute...I am posting from my desk in my shared office space while my manager is not looking...there could still be some hope eh?

2 comments:

klad said...

"Strategise" - hehehe...

Amanda Buckley said...

Hehehe indeed. Too good an opportunity to pass up.