Friday, December 21, 2007

PC or not PC.... was there even a question?

I will not let them spoil my day.
I will not let them spoil my day.
I will not let them spoil my day.
I will not let them spoil my day.
I will not let them spoil my day.
I will not let them spoil my day.
I will not let them spoil my day.
I will not let them spoil my day.
I will not let them spoil my day.
I will not let them spoil my day.

Count to 10. Breathe......

So after asking the alpha males of my office to tone down the blatantly slanderous remarks referring to any religion that failed to "just accept that Christmas is our culture and they should just shut up about it already" (yes, that's verbatim folks), I was fairly confident that I had voiced my objections to any particularly racial, discriminating or marginalising opinions.

I thought.

I am left wondering then, at what point MY MANAGER thought I might enjoy some rather distasteful jokes? I am talking REALLY offensive. Like even David Brent would have known to keep these ones to himself.

And when my reaction was to say that I thought he was both inappropriate and unfunny, why then did he need to keep telling the jokes to others to see what they thought?

Have I stumbled into the '70's by accident?

Still, tis the last day of work before some fun happy times with family and friends and countdowns to good good times indeed. So I will not let them spoil my day.

Happy happy festive season everyone - and here's to a cracker 2008!!!

3 comments:

Lliam said...

Were you not aware that it is a contractual obligation for managers to let out all their pent up 'Brentness' on the last day of work? Hang in there...and have a very Merry Christmas Ms Buckley.

Xx

Jean_Therapist said...

Ayy. How murderously frustrating! Tell them reverse racist/sexist non-jokes! Like

Q: How are women different from men?

A: They display different secondary sex characteristics and alternate genetic and socio-cultural adaptations.

Q: 'why aren't black people slaves any more?'

A: Because of Universal suffrage. Jerk.

Amanda Buckley said...

Lliam Amor and Alice Fraser - YOU ARE MY HEROES!!!!! Could you please be the voices in my heaed that provides the "comeback" at the appropriate time?
Thank you lovely people.... thank you. (voices in my head? What? I thought everyone had them.....)