Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sigh. Sniff. Sob.


You know that scene in Bridget Jones' Diary where she is worried that she is going to die alone and not be found and henceforth will be eaten by alsatians?
Well, I worry.
Thats all I am saying.
My mother, recently, in what I am sure was meant to be the conversational equivalent of a soothing pat on the back said to me, "Well maybe there is no one out there for you...."
To put it into context, we were talking about all the things I can do and should do while I am unattached...I was positive about the risks I am able to take in life because at present, I really only have to consider myself in the consequences, and my mother added that it was important for me to have a strong hold on my life, to live fully, to take risks because nothing comes from sitting around and waiting and afterall, "maybe there is no one out there for you...."
At the time I laughed, thanked my Mother for her sageness and went on my merry way.
A week or so later I was visiting a married friend at her house and was, well, attacked by her two dogs. Granted, they are labradors not alsatians, but it got me thinking, can dogs smell singletons - you know, like the way they can apparently smell cancer?????
This kind of thinking, coupled with my inability to move on from a certain heartache of the past has been my undoing of late. At the height of my dizzying happy YESes, I have highlighted some of my worrying lows....these moments are fleeting and I remind myself quickly of all the great and amazing things I have going on and I have been and will be a part of - but you know, whats it all about ....?
You know? Do you?
I find in these moments, a cup of tea* works wonders.

*failing that, gin.

No comments: