Thursday, March 22, 2007

All hail the Chiefs

I went to the Kaiser Chiefs gig last night at the Forum @ Fox Studios. Its a great venue, intimate, sweaty, loud.
Although, they are also the things I can no longer tolerate about live music. Well, lets say I cannot tolerate them like I used to.

Last year, Daniel Kitson made some very strong comments regarding gigs and the things he cannot tolerate about them. I could not have agreed more vehemently with him last night.
The Chiefs play loud, sweaty music. Inciting the masses and making you punch your hands in the air. For those that know me, I am not a joiner-inner of things like that, but I do enjoy other peoples carefree jumping up and downs. That is of course, unless the person whose sweaty back my cheek is uncomfortably pressing against is a certain breed of backpacker, who keeps mistaking me for his girlfriend (who he never bothered to completely locate and keep safe from the moshings of the mosh) and would repeatedly scream into my ear "NA NA NA NA NA NAAAAAAA I love this one!!!!"

It was an almost violent joy on display. His poor girlfriend had no idea what was going on and all I could think of was Daniel Kitson. When you really like something, you want the other people that really like it to be like you.....and when it turns out that you have something in common with someone you would choose to stay far far away from normally, well, it sours the subject somewhat. (He says it SO much better and funnier, and uses WAY more rude words.)

Thankfully, I also shared the experience with my friend Heather. I would recommend Heather as one of my favourite gig companions.

So now, almost 24 hours later and the dull ring in my ear still present, I ask myself, what will I expect at the Electric Picnic later this year....I cannot wait to find out!

2 comments:

Brydie said...

Hmm, I can't cope with rock gigs anymore (at the grand old age of 21).
Luckily, I have developed a taste for entirely untrendy and unrocky music, so I don't feel that I'm missing out.

Jason B. Standing said...

You're right, he does say it better :)
(KIDDING!)
Another similar gutting concept is when you take a friend to see something, because you think they'll like it and you respect their opinions on things, and they turn out to be one of "those people" - like a mate of mine I took to Kitson's show last year, and afterwards his comment was "That was the most childish & puerile waste of time I've endured in years - possibly the worst comedian ever" - animosity exacerbated by the fact that the venue was a bit of a walk in the cold from the tube station, thereby meaning not only had I wasted his time, but now there was associated hardship with no benefit.
Ah well, phuck 'em!
(Nice blog, btw)