Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Do Gooder

On my drive from work today, I passed a man sat in a van vigorously rubbing his eyes. Of course, I had driven on way too far when I thought to myself, "I hope he was alright". I mean, for all I know, he was an emotional wreck and had pulled over to the side of the road to let out all his anguish and woe and the kindness of a passerby may just be the only thing that could bring sunshine into his day....or he might have just been tired.
All this went through my head and I realised that well, I had missed my chance to find out.
Of course, I could have turned back at any time, though I did do this once, and my do-gooding ways got me into a spot of bother.
A few years ago (about 10) I was driving at dusk and saw a heap of smoke coming from a house. I called Emergency right away feeling very proud of myself for raising the alarm.
As I continued on my way (I was on my way to a class) I noticed several other houses with smoke billowing out of their roofs...hmmmm, coincidence? I think not. It was winter after all and something I had failed to notice when I raised said alarm, was the chimney from which all the smoke was coming out of.
I immediately rang Emergency again and informed them of my mistake, alas, it was too late and the protocol is for all calls to be investigated. I sped away as fast as was legal as I saw the three fire engines approach.....what a dickhead was I. All I could think of was the chance that there may have been a legitimate fire somewhere else, and thanks to my so-called do-gooding, people had perished.
None had.
I checked the papers ....
But still.

So I hope Mr Man from the van that you were merely stop, reviving, surviving... and if you weren't, I am sorry for not stopping.

I will try and make it up somehow.

No comments: