Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Slowly, but surely, they drew their plans against us!

And slowly but surely, my fear of fears presents itself.
Yes. Its true. There is something I fear more than being draped in velvet -

Aliens.

When I was about 4 - 5 (just coming to terms with a rather disturbing past-life memory) my Dad came into possession of a copy of the BBC Orchestra's War of the Worlds. (with narration by Richard Burton) He used to play it quite regularly (remembering that he would have been a man in his early-mid thirties) and got quite a kick out of the fear it put in me. I was petrified by it. The opening strains would send me to my room....the opening of the pods would send me under my bed....the "dooooolahs" would induce urination. This was frightening stuff and has scarred me quite a lot.

Later this year, War of the Worlds is being brought to life once again in one of those mega-spectacular concert thingys (and they said chances of anything coming from Mars was a million to one!) and so, on an almost daily basis, I am at fears doorstep. The sudden, unexpected refrains of the "dooooolahs" startle me while I am just innocently trying to send a few emails to friends. Whats with that? I am shaken, anxious, ever so slightly disturbed. Damn you commercial radio and your incessant advertising.

And as for you Terry Buckley, you cheeky man, you have a lot to answer for.

2 comments:

Jean_Therapist said...

When do you fly away?

Amanda Buckley said...

16th August....back on the 17th Sept. Crazy.
Hope you are well lovely Alice x